Wednesday, August 17, 2011

So many islands...so little time

A couple weekends ago we went to Tidung Island (part of the Thousand Islands) for the day. It takes about an hour to get there on the boat so not a bad day trip at all. The weather was perfect so our boat ride was nice and smooth this time - both ways!

Tidung is two islands that are combined with a really long bridge.  So you can walk back and forth to each island. They are both very small though and not developed.  We rented bikes and rode around to the different beaches so we could see the island since we were only there for one day.  We stopped at an awesome little area for the first part of our day and just snorkeled around the really shallow water and relaxed under the hut and drinking coconuts of course!


I found this awesome big blue star fish while snorkeling around the beach.  It's called Linckia Laevigata, a species of sea star found in the shallow waters of the Indo-Pacific.  I read how they can also be aqua colored, purple, or orange so now I'm on a hunt to see those next! They are so bright and pretty under the water.


My friend Franziska from Germany hung out all day with us on the island. We are both really blonde - and there were TWO of us so sometimes the locals get quite excited. Throughout the whole day we were asked to take at least 6 photos with people. It's just cracks me up.  So basically if you are a blonde in rural areas in Indonesia - you feel like a celebrity! ha Unfortunately we didn't get photos but decided from here on out we need to make sure to ask the locals for a photo shot as well and keep a rolling count!



Alo has always wanted a motorcycle and I finally found one on this island I like too!! And this way I can actually drive yet he doesn't have to ever sit on the back :) Win win for everyone! ha


Alo convinced me to jump off the bridge between the two islands with him and at first I wasn't scared but once you get up there it looks much higher! It was fun but I felt like I was wearing earmuffs for a week after I jumped.  Not cool!



Alo found a nice little spot for a nap. My parents really need to build on of these at our place on the river!


The bridge you must walk across to get to the other island is certainly not what I would call safe.  It was gorgeous however all I could focus on was my every step because many boards were missing, rotted, or broken! Literally there would be holes as you walked along or boards that felt as though they might break off any moment...hints the sign below...Hati Hati means be careful!


I would recommend this island and go back to it again. Wouldn't stay the night since there aren't too many nice places (and no toilets of course!) but it's great if you need your fix of clear blue waters and calm beaches.  












3 comments:

  1. Ahh so beautiful!!! Jealous....I would never jump off that bridge or go across it!! I'm way to much of a scaredy cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so these are my FAVORITE pix so far. Looks like paradise out there. That blue starfish is wild!!! And good for you for making the leap... you are quite the daredevil these days..i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! That starsfish is AMAZING!! You better find the others :) Looks like a dream life you're leading!! xo

    ReplyDelete