Wednesday, August 10, 2011

She put the lime in the coconut...

I've already discovered many new local fruits and fun things I love! My biggest obsession so far is called Nata de Coco - one word - YUMmmy! 



Nata de Coco is translucent and jelly-like and is usually served as a dessert item. You can mix it with fruits, ice cream, frozen yogurt, or just eat it plain which is what I do. Some of you may not like the consistency but I love it. I'm really big into anything chewy or jelly like though.  And the biggest plus is that it's not bad for you! Well technically I can't tell how much sugar is added to the kind I buy since it's all in Bahasa, but it's very high in fiber, low in calories, and no cholesterol.

Nata de Coco is produced by the fermentation of coconut water.  It's originally from the Philippines, the largest coconut producing country in the world, but is produced today in Indonesia as well. Since Indonesia comes right behind the Phillipines in the production of coconuts - I'm surely getting in my fix of them over here! When we were at the beach the other weekend at Tidung Island, we asked for a coconut to drink and they literally walked over to the trees, collected the ones that had dropped, chopped off the top and put a straw in it. They like to keep things simple over here :) 





1 comment:

  1. HAHA!! OMG that is so awesome!! I've always wanted to drink out of a real coconut :) I need to get my hands on some of this jelly coconut deliciousness. Lol. I know you are in heaven over there :)

    ReplyDelete