Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Happy Songkran!

The Thai New Year called Songkran is currently taking place all over Thailand and me oh my is it quite the celebration. Alo and I had heard about it back when we lived in Indonesia and we even tried planning a trip to Bangkok just to get to experience the holiday, it just never worked out. I didn't get to be here for it last year due to the pre-wedding planning back home so this was officially my first year!

For those of you who aren't familiar with Songkran... let me give you a bit of a run down of this glorious Thai holiday. Basically, the entire country runs around with water guns, hoses, buckets and talcum powder and drenches each other with it ALL day long. Yup - thats right - one BIG water fight. No lie.

Whether you are a priss pot who prefers not to get wet, a backpacker looking for a good time, or a 70 year old elder - everyone joins in! It's basically impossible not to so you might as well come to the party packin' (a watergun that is!).

I can't hardly describe just how intense the water fight is. For example, today, I was in such a cluster pile of wet, powdered, water squirtin people I could hardly stand because the crowds were pushing from every direction possible and the only thing you could do was lean into your strangers arm - EW! (and this is coming from the girl who hates when strangers hug her for a photo op on a hot day-more less this). Also, from the moment you walk outside of your apt, constant water will be shoot in your face. And don't forget about the talcum powder with water. They wipe it all over your face and body to 'bless' you. For those of you who wear contacts like me, it's not exactly the coolest. At one point I almost buckled down and bought the science class type clear glasses they were selling on the street. Heck - next time around I'm wearing straight goggles. Laughing? Trust me. You'll already look silly dripping from head to toe and covered in wet talcum powder, you might as well add goggles to the mix!

Obviously it's the land of smiles and everyone's usually happy but over Songkran the locals and foreigners are extra friendly and all around excited. Every person you pass or stand beside in the water fight acts like your best buddy from way back. And then of course they pour ice cold water directly on your head (can't even count how many times this happened!). The holiday creates a comradery amongst everyone and everything is done in fun. Although many times I did seek revenge after being harassed in the face with water guns - it's only natural!

Beers are sold about as cheap as ever along the sidewalks of the water fights along with lots of food. Why anyone would stop and have a snack while water is constantly flying through the air is beyond me, but hey maybe they were super hungry.

As if Thailand wasn't already amazing enough, Songkran raised the bar! I've never experienced a culture that has as much fun as the Thais! Sawadee Pi Mai!

Enjoy the video :)

"We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment